Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anniversary




Well, today is our 34th Wedding Anniversary. Wow, that many years together... What a great time! After all, we have two great sons, who have honored us with two wonderful daughters -in-law and four active, healthy grandchildren. 34 years ago I never would have imagined we would have been so blessed. We had our hopes and dreams back then, many we have actually attained, some we are still dreaming and hoping for.

I can remember the week after we were married, I was getting ready to go back to nursing school. Darrell had left for work, for the 11-7 shift. At the time he was working for Simonds Steel & Saw Mill in Lockport. He arrived back home about 30 minutes after he left, telling me he had been laid off. So started our marriage. I was only working 1 day a week as a nursing assistant, making enough to pay for my gas to drive to Buffalo General for the two week payperiod. The price of gas had jumped to $1.34/gallon (sound familiar?). Darrell was never out of work for long, even if it was working for Johnny Peterson on the farm. I finally graduated in June, starting to work at LMH as a Graduate RN for $4.95/hour-I thought we were rich!

Times have changed, many things for the better- I much prefer my Ipod and Cd's to the old 8 track tapes and cassettes. Computers- how did we ever live without them? Many clothing styles have come and gone, and are now reappearing. As time goes on, we continue to "look back" and wonder where all the time goes.

We have always loved to travel, which is a good thing since we are in TN, Jim and family remain in NY, and Kevin is in NE. When I finally do not have to work full time, we hope to do a lot more travelling. I thank Kevin and Michelle for making us go to Hawaii last year (doesn't seem like it has been a whole year-Happy Anniversary to them too). One of our goals has to travel to all 50 states, well, we are well on our way to reaching that goal. We have made it to California, and as Kevin can vouch for us, it was a very quick trip across the state line -something about snakes or something.


Well, I have gone on long enough now reminiscing and dreaming. Thanks to all of our family for helping make our last 34 years special. Hope the next are just as good for us all.

No comments: